VMware Cloud Community
chai
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating multiple vmdks from multiple luns to one

Hello all. I have manually moved vmdks from one lun to another as well as used the migration utility to conduct the change. I am unsure as to how to approach my current scenario which is a multiple vmdk move where the vmdks share the same name. For example, I have a server named SERVER1 which has three vmdks C, D ,E each located on a separate lun. They were originally all created on separate luns to spread out the IO but after monitoring it has been found that the design was not necessary. What want to do is consolidate all of the vmdks onto one lun. The confusion is that there is a SERVER1 folder on each lun containing the vmdk files which are all the same. In order to move them should I move one folder and rename it SERVER1_1, the other SERVER1_2? Then just go back and repoint the vm to the new location of the vmdks? Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks,

Chai

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

The easiest way is to follow the VC naming scheme with SERVER.vmdk and then SERVER_#.vmdk starting with 1 and working up from there. I would migrate them one VMDK at a time, renaming them before you move them.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
dachapin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If, the vmdk's are not huuuuge, then you could clone the VM after hours.

That will organize all of your vmdk's in to the same location with a VMware-happy filename convention. There is also an option to power it back on after the task is finished.

0 Kudos
chai
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Kix and Dachapin. We were able to delete the snapshots so I ended up cloning the VMs and it worked like a charm. I will test migrating them manually in case I want to split amongst diff LUNs later on. For now this works. Thank you!

0 Kudos