VMware Cloud Community
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor

Memory usage

Hello, I wonder if the Resource "Memory Usage" it's work well or how to it work. because my host appear constantly in 98% of memory used but my VMs aren't used an amount that.

for exemplo, pay attention in attached SRV-SQL it show 6,6GB of memory in use but attached SRV-SQL-DESKTOP show 5,0 GB of memory in use. there is an discrepancy between two places. the host appear as if it was spent almost all memory, what for me it's is wrong information

so I wonder if I can trust in "Memory Usage" Resource ?? or How to it's work ?

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As soon as a guest uses memory pages (e.g. while initializing it's memory), the host will assign these pages to the guest and therefore the host memory usage will increase. If the guest releases it's used memory, the host cannot just reclaim the memory pages since it is not aware of which pages are used by the guest OS and which aren't. This memory however can be reclaimed by the ballooning driver in case of contention.

André

maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks.

There is other way I get the real information or more near that about amount of memory used for a host ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure, but maybe RVTools from http://www.robware.net can help (tab "vMemory" -> column "Active").

André