VMware Cloud Community
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Memory error on Red Hat Linux VM

I'm getting an error message of "Unable to find memory information for the guest OS. Using legacy defaults." everytime when I click on "Edit Settings..." on a Red Hat Linux VM that I imported into ESX. After I click on OK which is the only option it opens up in the settings pages and everything seems normal and I can change settings just fine. The VM is also up and running just fine with no noticable issues. I have never seen this error before and don't see any about it on the forum when I did a search. Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ponpalani2001
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Login to ssh and open up the .vmx file and have a check on the mem section for that vm

Thanks

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've seen it on a 2.x host before when /home filled up to 100% and changes were made through the Virtual Infrastructure Client to the VM. Since the ESX host isn't able to write out a new .vmx file when changes are made, some of the information seems to get lost even if you clear up /home and force the ESX host to write out a new .vmx file.

I never really fixed the problem since I was already in the process of upgrading all my ESX 2.5 hosts to 3.x, and when I did so the problem just disappeared.

0 Kudos