VMware Cloud Community
secgr
Contributor
Contributor

MIME Types for OVA, OVF files in Windows 2008 Server with IIS

Hello dear all,

This is more like a Windows question but is vmware related. I would really appreciate your help, if you can provide it of course 🙂

I have this Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 with Web Server role installed and IIS up and running. I have uploaded one .ova file there, being available through http. (I have created a Virtual Directory, enabled Directory Browsing etc)

The problem is that i cannot download it, or in any case use it to "Deploy from a URL" when trying to "Deploy OVF Template". The error is the usual 404.3 HTTP Error.

I know the problem but i'm a total newbie when it comes to MIME Types and IIS Web Server.

So my question is, which MIME Type should i use/enter to associate it with the .ova (and .ovf) extensions? Even if i add the entry though, do i need to install any vmware product on that server? For example, the .doc extension is associated with the application/msword MIME Type, and the msword corresponds to the Microsoft Office Word application. So, do i have to install a VMware product application in my Windows server to support the MIME Type?

I really thank you for any guidance!

PS: I apologize if i opened this to the wrong forum, i didn't know where exactly to open it :-S

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Divyen
Contributor
Contributor

"application/vmware" works fine for me.

ova_mime_type_IIS.jpg

mehrantgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ovf: application/vmware

ova: application/x-virtualbox-ova