VMware Cloud Community
billcoldmatter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MAC OS on ESXi7 without Unlocker Patches

Hello,

I'm evaluating VMWare ESXi7 and find most of it is working well.  I'm seeking to get the MAC OS running and not finding a suitable solution for a production environment for MAC VMs. 

I'm okay with entering config settings but patching ESXi7 with 3rd party solutions isn't going to work for a production environment.  How did this product get passed the SW QA Testing this bug that needs to be patched?

Has anybody seen a MAC VM that works without patching ESXi7? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
billcoldmatter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

The only notes I see is that rebooting MAC VMs requires the unlocker.

Currently testing on enterprise-level servers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How did this product get passed the SW QA Testing this bug that needs to be patched?

Which bug are you talking about? Can you confirm that ESXi is running on Apple branded hardware?

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Has anybody seen a MAC VM that works without patching ESXi7? 
Yes - that is supposed to work on ESXi-hosts running on MAC hardware.
By the way - if you decide to use the Unlocker patch - dont use it on datastores that run production VMs.
The risk of corruption goes up for datastores that run MAC OS VMs with the unlocker patch.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Apple hardware, or something else?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
foxtrot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are running MacOs on MacMini without any issues.

The only limit as far as I can see is the graphic card actually which can't run WebGL (no chrome) and openGL , also you can scale up only to 2560x1130. 

I can't recommend a different setup.

Cheers 

Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 10.19.26.png

Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 10.28.03.png

0 Kudos
billcoldmatter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

The only notes I see is that rebooting MAC VMs requires the unlocker.

Currently testing on enterprise-level servers.

0 Kudos
billcoldmatter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since I'm in test and evaluation we are on enterprise gear.

In my neck of the woods, it would take over a month to get service for Mac hardware so that's not ideal.

Thanks for the input on your success.

0 Kudos
billcoldmatter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

Something else.

Testing on VBox went well with config updates.

0 Kudos
billcoldmatter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to all for the direction that I would need to run Mac hardware for the MAC VMs to work.  

I considered this but locally MAC hardware support isn't going to work for a production environment.  You would need several sets of gear sitting on shelves to make you operational while the Apple Auth Service Centers take their sweet time, months, making good on their warranties in APAC.  Having the option to port the VMs over to other gear is needed even if I ran MAC gear for license compliance.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can't discuss running MacOS on non-Apple hardware here, since doing so violates Apple's EULA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos