VMware Cloud Community
gkt145
Contributor
Contributor

Linux guest os crashed

Hi all,

Any one can help this out i have ESX 3.5 updates1 with VC2.5 and guest os is rpath linux with 2.6.26 kernel ver suddendly went to read only mode, there was no file in sbin, bin and etc directory all were empty if cheking disk space #df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2 16T 16T 18G 100% /

/dev/sda1 190M 8.7M 172M 5% /boot

tmpfs 506M 0 506M 0% /dev/shm

i am trying to remount the filesystem it was not happen it gave error command not found, i have given size 10GB only for / partition and how it shows 16T for / partition

How can recover the server.

Regards

GKT

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

In all liklihood your filesystem is hosed.

Restore from backups.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

This can happen when there is an extended disconnect between the vm and storage. Are you using local SCSI storage or NAS/SAN? If the latter, you may have had a storage outage, you'll have to reset your vm, but if your storage is in tact, it should come back up correctly.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

Did you tried boot in to rescue mode with the original installation CD ?

do you have selinux enabled by any chance? were the partitions encrypted?

if you can try and post the fdisk -lu output from linux rescue mode.

-Surya

0 Kudos
gkt145
Contributor
Contributor

i have tried all those thing but it was not.

so i revert back it from backup.

i need to know how it goes to read only mode, i am using SAN. at the same all other server were working fine.

GKT

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you lose connectivity from your SAN, for a length greater than the disk timeout (typically 45-60 seconds), then / will go read-only. This can/will happen on the ESX service onsole as well. You may want to check the LUN that your vm is living on, and verify it hasn't failed over to a secondary storage processor, and/or lost connectivity for that amount of time.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos