VMware Cloud Community
shorrj
Contributor
Contributor

Linux (SLES 10SP3) No monitor selected after VMWare tools install.

Hello all,

This had me going for a few hours today. I am new to Linux. I installed a SLES 10SP3 guest and the VMWare tools based on the current KB. This is on ESX 4. After the tools were installed I had problems making changes to the display settings using yast, when it went to test or save it would give errors about this line or that. After playing with it for a while going back and forth with snapshots I saw that before the tools were installed the monitor chosen by the SUSE install was VESA 800x600@60hz. After the tools get installed he monitor selection gets wiped out and is blank. I think that's what was generating the errors because when I go and choose the same VESA 800x600@60hz the problem goes away. But does me saving the config through Yast screw VMWare tools up? Am I not supposed to use Yast once vmware tools was installed? I actually only went in there to configure the VNC settings, that's when I first noticed the problem. If I need to change the display do I have to go and run the vmware-config-tools.pl again? Because when I do it wipes out my VNC settings.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
shorrj
Contributor
Contributor

I'm doing more research on this and from what I've gathered from others the problem is that the vmware tools installation is making changes to the xorg.conf file that the sasx2 cannot interpret. And it's not just the monitor, the keyboard changes to Albanian from USA, the mouse section is completely blank. I am going to try to see if this also happens on SLES 10 SP2 and on SLES 10 SP3 without online updates. Guess I'll also open up a trouble ticket.

0 Kudos