VMware Cloud Community
chandlm
Expert
Expert

Kronos

I've been searching the forums and found a few threads about Kronos in an ESX environment. Most of the posts were a bit old and I'm wondering if anyone else is running Kronos this way. I have received the same information as other posts that the Kronos documentation says it is supported but the 'in-person' information was not to do so. I'm looking for any information about number of users, how it works, any issues etc.

Basically we are just starting to implement a 'VM first' policy and this is already testing us out on it. We've already decided the back end databases will not be virtualized so it would just be application, web, and communication servers that we are looking to virtualize. I'm even open to virtualizing a portion of the servers in order to just keep the hardware purchases limited.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was involved in an implementation ealier this year which involved the P2V of the Kronos environment. We established it was supported, but did find some resistance from the vendor (lack of understanding, no real technical reasons).

We are your questions/concerns? I might be able to put you in touch with this client.

Dave

ichijo
Contributor
Contributor

We comissioned a Windows Server 2003 SP1 Guest with Kronos about 3-4 months ago to replace an older Windows 2000 Server system (also a guest). Nothing special about this box and no issues that have been raised from the applications support team.

Database server is physical, everything else is on the one VM from what I can see.

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

Finally I get back to you...had alot of problems with IE6 (have to use it instead of IE7 for work) but Firefox works fine!

I'm just mostly looking for general gotchas or information. I think we have approval to use the VMs and we were actually just told that by the end of the year it would be fully certified anyway. This will be 2-3 application servers and 2 web servers I think. Any info would be appreciated.

Mark

0 Kudos
tsightler
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's a little confusing that you ask about running Kronos. Kronos has a very diverse product line with many individual products and components so it would help to understand exactly what you are running. Saying you are running "Kronos" is a little like saying you are running "Microsoft". Still, I can share our experience.

We have been running the Workforce Timekeeper portion of the Kronos Workforce Central Suite for about 2 years completely within virtual machines. We process time punches for 1200 manufacturing employees and support approxmiately 75-100 users of the web interface for reporting and supervision. Both our application server and database servers are virtualized Windows 2000 systems and we use Oracle as the database. This has run solidly and reliably since it was installed and we can easily coexist the two virtual servers on a single physical server.

The application server appears to be a fairly highly threded applications, which historically have higher VM overhead, and this system has a tendency to use a fair amount (~20%) of CPU even when "idle", although this usage is very consistent and easy to manage. This seems to have signifiacantly less impact when the VM is run on hardware that includes virtualization assist technology.

Later,

Tom

Gayla
Contributor
Contributor

What version of Kronos are you on?

0 Kudos