VMware Cloud Community
ggrant2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Keyboard Bounce in RHEL3 Linux guest on ESX 3.0.2, using VI Client 2.0.2

I have done some research and this seems like this problem has happened before. My Host is ESX 3.0.2 (unpatched), running on a Dell 2950, 32 GB RAM, 2 quad-core processors.

I'm using the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client to connect to a virtual machine where the VI Client is running. I then use the VI client to connect to the ESX host so that I can boot and configure a virtual machine running RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) version 3 update 8. After installing the OS in the guest I often get severe keyboard bounce.

This is actually the setup for a classroom system where the students will repeat this over and over again - so I cannot pre-install VMware tools in the guest, since the guest OS won't be installed before the students show up (the purpose of the training is in part to learn how to install RHEL3).

In some of the VMTN discussion folks mention various setting they used to lessen the impact of this problem in their Linux work. Some of the discussions were for other versions of VMware (Workstation and Player), so I'm not sure they will work for me on an ESX host.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can try adding the following line to the .vmx file:

Keyboard.typematicMinDelay = "2000000"

If this works properly, it will add a 2-second delay until the key will "auto-repeat".

From what I understand, this needs to be placed at the bottom of the .vmx file to work properly.

I'm not positive this will work, but it won't hurt anything. Give it a try and post back the results.

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can try adding the following line to the .vmx file:

Keyboard.typematicMinDelay = "2000000"

If this works properly, it will add a 2-second delay until the key will "auto-repeat".

From what I understand, this needs to be placed at the bottom of the .vmx file to work properly.

I'm not positive this will work, but it won't hurt anything. Give it a try and post back the results.

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
ggrant2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did the trick. For those who want to know I did the following:

1. Powered off the virtual machine.

2. Removed the VM from the VI inventory.

3. Edited the .vmx file per the instructions given.

4. Added the VM back into the VI inventory.

5. Start the console.

6. Booted the machine and installed RHEL3 and then logged in and was able to type on the console - no keyboard bounce.

THANKS!!!!

0 Kudos