VMware Cloud Community
thadley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Keep getting "port group for network group 1 ... can't be found" error when creating virtual machines

On ESXi 6.5, I keep getting this error when creating a virtual machine.  I created a second port group, New Port Group 1, because I was getting the error when trying to create a 5th VM. That fixed that issue at that time.  Now, I just deleted a few VMs that were on the new port group and am trying to build some more, but this error keeps coming up on the Custom Settings page and the drop down menus don't work.  The memory limit automatically goes to negative (and causes another error).  The full error is: "The port group for network adapter 1, New Port Group 1, could not be found. It has been assigned to New Port Group 1."  But, nothing works, you can't change any settings.  What can I do to fix this and build the VMs?  There is currently only one VM on the new port group. Any help on this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update your ESXi embedded host client and try your workflow again.

0 Kudos
thadley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I downloaded the file.  So, since I'm a newbee to this, how do I install it?  I went to Manage>Packages>esx-ui> Install Update.  What URL do I put in there?  I tried your link but it didn't work.  I put the vib file in a folder on the datastore as well as in my Downloads folder on Linux.  So, what would be the URL or the path to the Datastore that I use?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are instructions on the Fling site.

0 Kudos
thadley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I read those instructions which is why I posted for more help.  The instructions assume the reader is familiar with ESXi.  I'm not, which is why I need help with this.  What is the URL that I would put in the command to download?  Or, what is the path I would put in to access the vib file in the Datastore?

For example: ssh root@<esx ip or hostname> esxcli software vib install -v <URL>

Where on the Embedded Host client do I get a command prompt to enter that command?  And, what URL would I enter?

0 Kudos
thadley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, so I found out how to do this.  For other newbees show may be looking.  On the EHC, go to Manage> Packages tab> scroll down to esx-ui.  Highlight it, click the Install Update button (top left). Since I put the vib file in the Datastore, this is the path that I put in the Update field (Vib is the folder I created on the datastore): /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/Vib/esxui-signed-8122819.vib.

Reboot the server.

Once it updated successfully, I was able to add a new VM without any problem.   Thanks for the suggestion to update the EHC.

0 Kudos