VMware Cloud Community
heinzel0302
Contributor
Contributor

Issues with Snapshots?

Hi there!

I have a question concerning using Snapshots. Are there issues known when Snapshots are beeing made or deleted on a running server? I had a problem with an Exchange-Server where the DB was

corrupted after deleting a previously made snapshot on a running server. Are there any issues known? What are your experiences with Snapshot deleting on running Database-Servers.

It would be great if you could share your experiences.

Thanks....Andy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you delete snapshots, those changes get written to the current vmdk file, unless you revert to a previous snapshot first. My vc is a vm, and I've created and deleted several snapshots, and have not had any issues with my SQL 2005 db on it. Having said that, exchange and ad seem to be a bit touchy about flushing data to disk for proper snapshot maintenance, so it may be safer to run a cold snapshot and/or not including memory in your snapshot creation.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andy,

today i read this Artikel

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=5962168&sl...

May this helps you

Kind regards

Nautilus

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos