VMware Cloud Community
towngas
Contributor
Contributor

Issues encountered in an emergency, please assist?

I installed on a host of vmware GSX version,in Vmware GSX and then installed the vmware ESX,Start vmware ESX but there have been the following error:

TSC: 1000628 CPU:0) CPU:1786: No variable MTRRS; assuming ESX is running in aVM;

TSC: 1102898 CPU:0) Init: 461: The Execute Disable /No Execute CPU feature in not enable for this Machine

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

I assume you put ESX within VMware Server and not GSX. Did you follow the instructions for doing this provided by XtraVirt? If not I would do so, it looks like you are missing a VM setting or two you need to add by hand.

Also, are you installing this on a 64 Bit System with the NX or XD Bit eanbled within the BIOS?

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

GSX is renamed to be VMware Server 2.0 and its free web base as you know and assuming you want to run ESX 3.x /4.0 as a nested VM, so you may need to double check your CPU for x64 bit compatability and also edit the settings to monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE settings as instructed on xtravirt guide mentioned above.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

GSX is renamed to be VMware Server 2.0

Thats not how I would put it Smiley Wink

None of the Products available nowadays can compare with former GSX.

Current VMserver 1 is only a crippled version of GSX.

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I guess you can still old archive VMware GSX Server 3.2.1 for Windows/Linux now and VMware Server 2.0 is a great free GUI base you can use for lab purpose. I would of said "VMware Server 2.0 would be a great alternative to GSX server" than.....Thanks Continuum!! [http://www.vmware.com/download/gsx/]

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

To me GSX compares to VMserver 2 like a Porsche to a Lada Smiley Wink

GSX combined all features the hosted Server-variant with all featiures of Workstation at that time.

Today Workstation has features that are no longer implemented in VMserver

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos