VMware Cloud Community
sprasad18
Contributor
Contributor

Issue: Installing nested ESX

HI

I'm trying to install a nested ESX (i.e. ESX inside a Guest OS / VM)

I followed the instructions mentioned in the link http://www.vcritical.com/2009/05/vmware-esx-4-can-even-virtualize-itself/

While creating VM, I selected a datastore which is from a NFS volume.

Now the installation started & it asked if I want to partition the disk. I said "Yes"

After this it fails to partition & throws some error, "Unable to partitoin vmfs "

Also see the attached image, the screen that appeared after I clicked on 'Debug' button.

Any help/ideas to solve the issue.

Regards,

Prasad

P.S.

The datastore is of NAS type.

Installation Windows 2003 was successful on the same datastore

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

NFS/non direct-attached storage is probably not supported in this hack install. I would suggest that you use Workstation with local storage or external HDD if you don't have iSCSI/fiber SAN or local storage available on the ESX host to install on.

Someone on the same site was having the same issue that you are:

"Steve Shockley on February 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm

FYI, I had problems getting ESX 4.0u1 to install under ESX 4.0 on an HP DL680c G5. When the install would start formatting the disks, vmkfstools would fail with status 65280, print the vmkfstools command options, then say “Error: not supported”. It turns out I only had the problem when the guest disk was on a volume on a NetApp filer via NFS. Putting the volume on direct-attach disk led to a successful installation."

----

Robert, Network Administrator

BSIT, MCP, A+, VCP (VI3)

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
sprasad18
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

Will try on DAS & let you know the result.

0 Kudos
sprasad18
Contributor
Contributor

Using DAS works fine for me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos