VMware Cloud Community
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

Is this a serious bug or hasn't anyone ever thought about it?

Hi

We have one basic VM which is installed according to our standards. When a new VM is created we clone it, change the cpu / mem properties on it and run sysprep. Then its handed over to the customer.

The basic VM is 1 vCpu en 256MB RAM. Now I noticed that when I upgrade the memory to what the customer wants, for example 2GB, the resource shares for memory is not adjusted. Also if I change a singel cpu VM to dual cpu, the cpu shares is not adjusted. We never checked this before until customers started complaining about performance. A collegue of mine found out about while checking all VM properties.

Test:

\- create VM with 1 vcpu and 256MB RAM.

\- check resource settings: cpu = normal = 1000 shares, memory = normal = 2560 shares

\- change VM to 2 vcpu and 2048MB RAM

\- check resource settings: cpu = normal = 1000 shares, memory = normal = 2560 shares !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

\- change resource settings cpu to low, memory to low, press OK

\- change resource settings cpu to normal, memory to normal, press OK

\- check resource settings: cpu = normal = 2000 shares, memory = normal = 20480 shares !!!!

Quite a difference \!!!

I mailed this to collegue VMware consultants and they started searching in their own environment and also noticed that they had VM with dual cpu, stil running with single cpu shares.

Anyone else have the same experience?

(Running esx302, vc202, viclient 201)

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

Mine is changing the shares just fine ! if i follow your test. The only thing i am not doing is sysprep.

Runninng esx 301, vc202, vic202

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

Hi

Could you try this:

\- create VM with 1 vcpu, 256MB ram and very small disk (just to save time and space)

\- check cpu shares and mem shares

\- upgrade VM to 2 vcpu and press OK

\- open properties and check cpu shares

\- upgrade VM to 2048MB and press OK

\- open properties and check mem shares.

Thanks

Gabrie

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

I have tried it and here are the results Smiley Happy

\- create VM with 1 vcpu, 256MB ram and very small disk (just to save time and space) OK[/i]

\- check cpu shares and mem shares OK[/i]

\- upgrade VM to 2 vcpu and press OK[/i]

\- open properties and check cpu shares OK Shares is updated to 2000[/i]

\- upgrade VM to 2048MB and press OK OK[/i]

\- open properties and check mem shares. OK shares is updated to 20480[/i]

So in my install it's just perfect. Is it different for you if you clone or if it's a new machine ?

/Lars

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

No, same when I clone a machine. Very strange.

My config is VC202, ESX302 and maybe important VI Client 201 because our packaging department takes 2 month before the can deliver VI Client 202.

Thanks for testing

Gabrie

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

The install docs for VC 2.0.2 state that VI client 2.0.2 \*must* be used with it....i.e. that all VIC installations must be upgraded too.

Chris

0 Kudos
wharlie
Contributor
Contributor

We have a similar issue.

VCClient 2.02 VCServer 2.02

P2V 2cpu PM server to VM then change to 1cpu.

CPU shares stay at "normal - 2000" instead of "normal - 1000" like the 1cpu VMs that were not P2V'd.

We have to change VM's to "custom -1000" so they have the same CPU share percentage as the non-P2V'd VMs.

0 Kudos