VMware Cloud Community
ErikErik
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to install a KMS server in a VM ?

Is there a way to install a KMS server in a VM ?

It is documented that it is not possible but is there a workaround ?

We get :

Error: 0xC004F068 The software Licensing Service determined that it is running in a virtual machine. The Key Management Service (KMS) is not supported in this mode

Erik

0 Kudos
15 Replies
look1976
Contributor
Contributor

I heard that running KMS under VM was a method used to crack KMS Smiley Happy

Maybe a newest patch for KMS recognizes the fact of being run under VM and blocks it...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Strange, we're running our Vista KMS in an ESX3 VM and not had any issues....I'll ask the person who set it up if they needed to tweak anything. 😕

0 Kudos
ErikErik
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a tweak ?

0 Kudos
patvi
Contributor
Contributor

Are You trying to run KMS for windows 2003 on ESX 3.0 ?

0 Kudos
ErikErik
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. That 's indeed what I'm trying to do

0 Kudos
Enigma
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, KMS on Win2003 Server. I don't really have a physical box I want this on; I really want it on my WSUS server. Anyone know a hack yet?

0 Kudos
ErikErik
Contributor
Contributor

I almost had a solution Smiley Wink

I installed it on a physical one.

After that I used Vmware converter to make a virtual one.

This seems to work but when now it says that the server is not activated yet. You can activate it again and status is activated but you still get the message that it's not activated Smiley Sad

But maybe this is easier to solve ? Smiley Wink Any ideas?

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A Hack would be against the EULA you/your company accepted in order to run Vista. This would make you out of compliance with the agreement and open yourself to fines/penalties.

0 Kudos
Enigma
Contributor
Contributor

Um, no it wouldn't. What EULA are you refering to? What does what we are discussing have to do with the EULA for Vista itself? We are talking about running the licensing server in a VM instead of a physical box for enterprise use, not a local hack for a single install like you see on the Net. Some of us have disaster recovery plans that use ONLY VM's, and having to run it on a desktop is just plain cheezy.

Don't be a premature whistle blower. 😕

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am only trying to help you out. I tried it, and called MS Support to get it to work. They told me that they wouldn't support it running on any virtualization technology but their own, and that running it was specifically denied in the Select Agreement authorization for Vista.

Do what you want.

FYI: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897615

0 Kudos
Enigma
Contributor
Contributor

Well, since I'm not running it in vista, that does not apply. We are using the Windows Server 2003 KMS. also MS does support running it on ANY VM, even their own.

Thanks anyway though.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ahhh we're running the Vista KMS server in a VM, not Win 2003. Sorry I know that's not much help!

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Read the KB article. It clearly states that if they can't figure out the issue, that you will have to replicate it on a physical device before they will continue to help you.

0 Kudos
Enigma
Contributor
Contributor

murreyaw, thanks for your help (or the lack thereof) but it seems maybe you should stop contributing to this topic as your comments are not accurate nor helpful. Thanks for your effort though.

By the way, you can't replicate it on a physical device when the question is "how to do a KMS server in a VM". Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
EshuunDara
Contributor
Contributor

To my knowledge, this is unsupported on Win2k3, but it IS supported under Windows 2008 Server. (I'm currently running my KMS Server on Win 2008 and it works just fine in a VM).

0 Kudos