VMware Cloud Community
jmfg187
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a guide for binding a vm to a host network?

Forgive me if this has been answered, obviously I am either not searching the right terms or just missed it. My host computer has 2 physical network adapters with two separate ISPs I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. The guest VM is Windows XP Pro x64, (if this will not work with xp I can install a copy of 7 in the guest also). What I want to do is connect the guest OS to only one of the physical adapters on my host. I just can't figure it out, I tried bridging the virtual and host connections from within the host and it gives an error about not supporting bridging the virtual adapter. I am using VMware workstation 7 If anyone could point me to a guide or explain to me what to do it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, James.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

On the physical network adapter (on the host) that will be used for this virtual machine, remove all bindings from it in the properties and leave nothing except the VMware Bridge Protocol there. On the "other" network card (that only the host will use), go to the properties and remove the VMware Bridge Protocol. This should force the virtual machine to use the connection you want. You don't need to do anything with Windows bridged connections.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos