VMware Cloud Community
focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it possible to perform a manual backup and restore of a virtual machine ?

Greetings,

I failed in my attempt to find a manual procedure for backing up a virtual machine . So, I am wondering: Is it possible to perform a manual backup and restore of a virtual machine ?

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes it is possible - you simply will need to backup the directories that hous the files that make up the VM - this will have to be done with the VM powered off -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

David,

I'm glad to hear you say that it is possible! Can you help me figure out what I did wrong when I attempted to do just what you describe?

A step by step account of what I did can be found here

In essence what I did was add a new NFS share datastore to the ESX server host from within the VMware Infrastructure Client (VIC). I then went to the command line of the ESX server and successfully copied the contents of the VM directory to the NFS share backup datastore. Then I used the VIC GUI to "Delete from Disk" the test VM. I rebooted the ESX server then recreated the VM directory in the original datastore and copied all the contents from the NFS share back to the directory. I used chmod +x to get the .vmx file to become an executable. After rebooting the ESX server again I do not see the re-emergence of the VM even though I see an exact replica of the VM directory and contents in the original datastore.

This is a bummer! I hope someone can light the way.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What version of ESX are you running - if it ESX 3.x you actually will have to reregisterthe VM on your ESX host - using the vi client you can browse ti the location of vmx file and readd it to the inventory -

focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response David. My host server is running ESX Server 3i Version 3.5.0 Build 153875 I thought there was an "extra something" that I was missing. Can you explain in a bit more detail how I: 1. Register the VM on the Host, and 2. Use the vi client to browse to the location of the vmx file and read it into inventory.

0 Kudos
focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hooray for Mindtouch (a San Diego company too!) ! They had the answer I was looking for.

This means I can update the MBR procedure and list it as successful.

On this website I found the light I hoping for:

"4.1.3. Within the Datastore Browser, navigate to the directory folder containing the virtual

machine files (/deki), right-click the virtual machine configuration file (Deki.vmx), and

choose Add to Inventory. "

I went to the databrowser, right clicked on DEV1.vmx in the DEV1 directory on datastore2, and choose Add to Inventory.

Pow! the Virtual machine is back in the inventory. I turned on the VM and it is fully functional as far as a can see at this point.

Awesome.

0 Kudos
focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to the helpful responses to my question here and the true key from MindTouch this procedure is now a complete answer:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/3bx/2009/12/03/mbr10-manual-backup-and-restore

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Happy to help

0 Kudos