VMware Cloud Community
rucky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is MS cluster supported on Iscsi SAN? maximum no of nodes?

?:| Hi Guys

I have a windows cluster (file server) 2 nodes connected to DAS (PV220s) RAID5. 11 disks. NTFS.

I want to move the cluster in Virtual environment and also the data from DAS to SAN.

Is this supported? (MS cluster in Iscsi SAN, how many max nodes?)

If you have any thoughs please let me knw

One of the guys here suggested moving data first (extra NIC in the server - ISCSI connection SAN)

how shall i go about moving data from DAS (NTFS) to iscsi SAN (VMFS), do i have to create NTFS share in the free space for SAN.

How will virtual machines acess the data. (VMFS or NTFS)

please shed some light and enligten me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was the "guy" I think.

What I was thinking was that you could add ISCSI LUNS to existing physical cluster (They would be formated NTFS). The robocopy the data over. Once that was complete you could setup a cluster on your ESX environment and then have the new cluster attach to the existing ISCSI LUNS via RDMs (http://vmzare.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/vmware-raw-device-mappingrdm/).

There would be some down time for the switch but this is the simplest method and to my mind the one that offers the best regression at a number of steps along the way.

MS Cluster in box (two nodes Single ESX host) or across boxes (Two ESX hosts one node on each) is supported. Two nodes are supported but it is possible (I think) with RDMs to have as many as 8, although this would not be a supported configuration.