VMware Cloud Community
yassargo
Contributor
Contributor

Internet Connectivity

Hello All,

I am having a weird issue:

I have Windows 2008 R2 Virtual Machine (VM) on VMware ESX. The VM is joined to the domain and have an static IP address. I am able to ping the domain controller and other machine is the same subnet. However, I cannot access the internet from that machine. I removed the NIC card and added a new once to no avail. The only way I can access the internet is to run Wireshark on the machine, so as long as Wireshark is running or using Dymanic IP address I am able to access the internet.

If I open Network and Sharing Center in Windows and click on the red x between the domain network and the internet, it will launch "Windows Network Diagnostic" window, after it finishes I would get the following generic error:

"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding"

More info:

Adapter Type E1000

Thanks,

Yassar

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

when you configure the IP settings manually, make sure you also configure the DNS settings (IP addresses for DNS servers).

André

0 Kudos
yassargo
Contributor
Contributor

DNS setting is configured with DNS server IP adresses ( I have got two DNS servers).

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You said

using Dymanic IP address I am able to access the internet

I'd suggest compare the output of "ipconfig /all" of your manual configuration and with DHCP enabled.

What does e.g. "nslookup google.com" return?

Can you ping the IP address of "google.com". If ping doesn't work, try "tracert google.com" or "tracert 74.125.77.104"

André

0 Kudos
yassargo
Contributor
Contributor

When I did nslookup for google.com I got the following IP addresses:

Request timeout if I try to ping the above addresses or do tracert for either google.com or its IP addresses.

If I select dymanic IP address and leave DNS IP address I can connect to the net.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you compare the dynamic settings (using ipconfig /all) with the ones you set manually?

To me this looks like either a misconfigured subnet/gateway address or some sort of firewall issue.

André

0 Kudos
WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This indeed sounds like a gatway or firewall issue? Is your firewall blocking an IP range? Enable icmp requests on your gatweay and see if you can ping it..

VCP5-DCV, CCNA Data Center
0 Kudos
yassargo
Contributor
Contributor

I did compare the settings using ipconfig /all with the settings in the GUI and they both match.

As for firewall it's disabled, therefore we can role out any firewall issues.

0 Kudos
yassargo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

I was able to resolve my issue at last. For some odd reason the IP address for a web site, so I have to assign the machine a new static IP address and now everything is working properly.

Thanks,

Yassar

0 Kudos