VMware Cloud Community
MickD
Contributor
Contributor

InterSystems Product Caché Database on VMWare

Hi All, have just been asked to look at upgrading a server (Old NT 4) running a Caché Database and would like to place this in a VM. However checking the InterSystems Web site thay have a statement from March 2007 In multi-user tests, CPU load is typically twice as great (200%) of the same tests run on the same operating system natively (i.e. without VMware) on the same hardware. Additionally, there are application specific implications for response time for interactive jobs.

The question is:

Has anyone got any knowledge of this Database in a VMI3 installation?

Thank you,

MickD

0 Kudos
3 Replies
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking to take an App server that has a Cache DB and moving it to a VM...Anyone doing this with good results? Thanks

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert

I recently converted an NT server to test an app after upgrading but it had the done via a clone clone. This was due to an issue with an unsupported SCSI command converter uses that is not supported with some NT drivers.

I noted this here and may be of some use to you: http://www.vmadmin.co.uk/index.php/resources/38-converter/83-converterntpercscsicmd

Also if I remember right NT is not multi processor so if these tests they ran was with 2vCPUs rather than one they may get that result. Further than that I am unsure of the way that aprticular product works

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did this server have a Cache' database installed on it? Thanks

0 Kudos