VMware Cloud Community
brucecmc
Contributor
Contributor

Insuffcient disk space when cloning

hey folks,

running 3.0.2 esx, vc 2.0, all windows machines.

I'm attempting to setup MSCS from the guide (pdf) from vmware, however during the step to "clone" the VM that you build initially to the local storage of the ESX host that is going to house the second node of the cluster, I am returned the following error:

"Insufficient disk space on datastore <name of my internal disk> in this case ESX02_Internal_Disk"

The disk is 113GB <standard> and all of it is available except about 600mb for the VMFS overhead...

It appears that I can build another VM on this disk, but it doesnt appear it is going to let me clone one...

Is it possible to clone from one local disk on an ESX host to another local disk on another ESX host. One would think so since the guide calls for it...??? Or is it possible that during the cloning process, temp files are created on the target host that is going to cause my 113gb to not be sufficient? I'm at a loss here...

thanks in advance.

Bruce

0 Kudos
5 Replies
brucecmc
Contributor
Contributor

For anybody watching this post,

I had 2 Virtual Disks that were connected to the VM for the first node of the sql cluster....I removed those 2 virtual disks (quorum and the shared storage device) from within VC and i was then able to clone the node to the other (2nd) ESX host...

instructions said to assign those devices, then perform the clone????

not sure what the significance was...

bruce

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hmm you really only want one quorum and one data disk, and cloning that VM would create two of each, so I'd say you need to inform the author of the procedure that there's a problem with it.

Well spotted!

fmateo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello Bruce,

I did a lot of clones in the same local ESX disk. I didn't have problems to perform the clone. I've try too, to create the clon on other datastore inside the same ESX server (on an NFS datastore), and runs ok, but its a bit slowly.

Now I'm migrating some virtualmachines from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2, and I do the following: To preserve a copy of the virtualmachine on the original esx 3.0.1, I build a clone from the VM, and then I migrate it to the 3.0.2 server, on a iscsi datastore, and I have no errors to perform the operation.

I hope my answer was usefull..

Francesc

brucecmc
Contributor
Contributor

that makes sense...the quorum and shared storage were well in excess of the available storage space on the local esx disk (113gb)...My initial thoughts were that it was being caused by the destination disk (which it was to some degree)...But, I tried to clone the machine to another datastore and received the same error...

I dont recall the size of that datastore, but i'll be that it had less space on it than the combined quorum and shared storage disks from the machine being cloned...

thanks for the responses...

Hope some of this info helps others.

Bruce

0 Kudos
brucecmc
Contributor
Contributor

francesc

my issue was between 2 esx hosts local disks...it turned out to be the machine i was cloning had 2 additional virtual disks connected (the quorum and shared storage disks)...Once I removed them, I was able to clone the machine...I'm suspecting the "insufficient disk space" error was because the combination of the quorum, the shared storage and the guest OS partition exceeded the available storage (113gb) of the destination ESX host...

thanks for the posts...

bruce

0 Kudos