VMware Cloud Community
Longhorn20
Contributor
Contributor

Installing a wireless printer into Win XP VM

Ok, i am a bit lost... i have toyed with this for a while and would prefer is someone else would help me see what i am missing...

Here is the background....

I have a Imac ... running Leopard....

I have an HP photosmart C3180 all-in-one printing off the Airport Extreme Base station..

I installed VM Ware Fusion... with Windows XP Pro

Now i am at a loss as to how to install the printer over the wireless network...

Here is what i have tried....

Downloaded Bonjour for windows...

Noticed that Bonjour will not find the printer if running in NAT settings... I had to change this to Bridge setting.... although after doing that... the internet did not work anymore.

Either way.... running under Bridge setting... Bonjour sees the C3180 printer... and installs it fine. (Before this, i downloaded the Windows XP printer software from the HP website). However, when i send the test page to print using the newly installed Bonjour printer... it only spools 24kb of the 76 kb file and eventually times out.

What am i missing?

By the way.... am i only able to print when i am in bridge mode and in turn have to give up connecting to the internet? Or this there a way to get them both working at the same time?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You should be able to get both working at the same time. How do you assign IP addresses on your LAN? When you go to bridged networking, what do you get for the command ipconfig and does that match what you have on the host (i.e. the gateway / DNS parts). If it is the same, can you ping the gateway?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should post your question on the "Desktop" forum.... not the VMware Infrastructure

0 Kudos