VMware Cloud Community
VMWareNewUser20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing VMware ESX/ESXI 4.1 on HP Proliant DL360 G4

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an old HP Proliant DL360 G4 machine with 2 Xeon 3.6GHz processors and 4GB of RAM.  I am planning to install VMware ESX or ESXI 4.1 on it.

I have been reading some comments from VMware and other hypervisor products and all are saying that these 64 bit Xeons don't have VT support option and thus cannot run Windows 64 bit guest OS's.

Since I will just be using this as test environment to know more about Windows Server 2008.  I would like to know if I can install ESX 4.1 on the HP DL360 G4 and if so, can I install 32-bit Windows Server 2008 guest OS's on it?

Another machine I am looking at is the Dell Poweredge 2850 which has the same processor and roughly the same specs as the DL360 G4.  So I would like to know what a 64 bit Xeon with no VT-x technology's limitation is in terms of installing Windows-based VMs on it.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Xeon 3.6 doesn't have VT-X so you won't be able to run 64 bit guest OSes as you've found - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=28019.  You would be OK for 32 bit guests, but you would be precluded from running Windows 2008 R2 as it is 64 bit only.   At this point I wouldn't bother with a test server that can't run 64 bit guests.  If you want to stick with a server class machine I would keep looking or look at a white box - vm-help.com - see the whitebox list.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Xeon 3.6 doesn't have VT-X so you won't be able to run 64 bit guest OSes as you've found - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=28019.  You would be OK for 32 bit guests, but you would be precluded from running Windows 2008 R2 as it is 64 bit only.   At this point I wouldn't bother with a test server that can't run 64 bit guests.  If you want to stick with a server class machine I would keep looking or look at a white box - vm-help.com - see the whitebox list.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
VMWareNewUser20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info Dave.  I guess x86 windows 2008 will do for me since I'm just a student and have limited budget to learn about VMware ESXi and Windows Servers.

One final question, about how many guest OS's can I install on this type of machine?  I'm hoping I can install about 4.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

4 would be tight, but it would depend on how much memory you grant them.  I have a 12 GB host with 9700 MB free for VM use.  But I'm running 8 VMs with 11.5 GB allocated but ESXi is only using 8.5 GB overall.

idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i would suggest getting refurbish memory off ebay so that you can run more VMs ..

VMWareNewUser20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok.  Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

0 Kudos
Chaffey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I have a DL360 G4 already in production running Linux on the metal, I'm considering running ESX(i) on it (and getting another cos they're nearly free so I can minimise downtime while a physical server gets rebooted).

VMware states only 3.5 is supported on the DL360 G4, so I'm wondering if 4.x or 5.x have any requirements beyond a 64bit CPU? I know the CPU doesn't have VT-x and not running a 64bit OS isn't a problem since 32bit Linux VMs are ample for my needs... what I'm wondering though, is (a) will 4.x / 5.x _run_ on this hardware?! Because VMware also state that if I have 64bit hardware (which the CPUs in these boxes are) then I should run ESXi 5.x.

I've had a lack of success with the management tool that comes with ESXi 3.5U5 (which is being run on a Windoze 7 VM, maybe it'll work on XP?) and the Hypervisor appears to crash a lot (it's running under Fusion 4.1.3 which only supports ESX/ESXi 4 & 5).

ESXi 4.1U3 runs well and I've had no problems with the management tool, both running inside Fusion - so I'm pretty happy here, I just don't want to invest in something that won't run on the hardware I have. If I bump these boxes up to their maximum RAM of 8GB and I can run two or more VM's on each then I'll be very happy!

Any help / tips (without suggestions of purchasing later model servers) much appreciated!!

0 Kudos