VMware Cloud Community
maheedhark
Contributor
Contributor

Install vmware tools

i have a vm that is migrated to esxi and it does not have IP address and vmware tools not installed in it. i have to install vmware tools from a script or command line. how can we do that since the vm does not have IP and we cannot access it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@maheedhark 

Moderator: Please try and create a thread in the area for the product used - moved to the Virtual Machine, Guest OS and VM Tools Discussions area within vSphere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@maheedhark 

Why must you install VMware Tools via that method? If you cannot communicate with the guest OS over the network you will find that approach difficult.

Can you not install via the traditional method from the vSphere Client and the VM console?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
maheedhark
Contributor
Contributor

@scott28tt Thank you for the reply. Yes, as you said we can do it manually from console or vsphere client. But i have to automate this scenario and looking for any possible solutions.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@maheedhark 

Using something like PowerCLI?

0 Kudos