VMware Cloud Community
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install VMware tools on a Linux guest without Perl

Hi,

A co-worker must install guests using a Linux without Perl packages because these packages are not allowed on the secured operating systems of the company.

I know that VMware tools need Perl during installation and configuration (vmware-config-tools.pl).

However, do you know if it is possible to install and configure the VMware Tools without Perl packages on Linux? If it is possible, could you please explain the process?

Regards,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Have you tried using the rpm? Or does that still require running the .pl?

Message was edited by: Chamon

0 Kudos
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My co-worker said that when he tried to perform installation using the default procedure, the installer said that it need Perl packages.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

The RPM will install it but it looks like it needs the .pl to configure it.

Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Basically you need to take configure.pl and port it to something like shell. The main concern is putting the drivers in the proper location and having the proper configuration files.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I have changed my mind.

I have asked him to validate the installation of the Perl package with the team in charge of the master. If it is not possible, the Perl package will be removed after the installation even if we have no idea of the impact on the VMware tools.

Thanx a lot.

0 Kudos