VMware Cloud Community
Nathan25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Importing a VM across clusters using converter

Hi,

i am trying to import a windows xp vm from one cluster to another, using vmware converter 3.0

Thing is, i have 2 vcenter servers, 2 clusters, different ESX OS installations (3.5 update 4 and ESX 4.0)

I've tested once, went through the entire conversion steps, selecting source, destination, etc. It even shows the conversion as 100% complete.

But when trying to find the vm that shows as successfully moved over, its not there, still located in the original cluster.

Any feedback would be great

thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Using the converter will not remove the original VM so it will still remain in the original Cluster. But the copy should appear in the destination cluster if the proocess went fine of course.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Using the converter will not remove the original VM so it will still remain in the original Cluster. But the copy should appear in the destination cluster if the proocess went fine of course.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Nathan25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply,

would there be an issue if the vm has to move between buldings, across the wan?

would there be any delay in the time that it would take for the copy to show in the new cluster?

0 Kudos
jordan57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you looked on the destination host and browsed the datastore to see if the folder/files are there?

You could then try to add it in via Virtual center.

Blog: http://www.virtualizetips.com Twitter = @bsuhr