VMware Cloud Community
alex777
Contributor
Contributor

Import win2k3 to VM by system recovery 7

Hello.

I transfer a physical server (win2k3) to the virtual environment (ESX 3.5) by Symantec system recovery 7. System recovery allows to receive an image of a disk and to import it in vmdk. I create new VM through VIC. And as a disk I specify to it this vmdk a file. VM it is created normally. But there is no opportunity to add new equipment (through VIC) - button ADD easier is not accessible. The disk of this VM is in a mode presistent, and to change it through VIC it is impossible... Snapshots to me are not accessible.

How it can be corrected?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Frist, VM Ware converter would make this process MUCH easier. It would work better too. If you don't have a license for converter, you can still do it, but you need to make a stand alone VM first. Make sure that you use 1 big file and not 2g file sizes. Also set the size of the disk to the ACTUAL size you are using, don't make it bigger. When you resize on the ESX server, it's faster and you can increase the size later if you need to. Then you can use winscp to copy the files from the stand alone VM to the ESX server, just copy the vm1.vmdk and vm1-flat.vmdk files, those are the only 2 you need. You create a new vm on the ESX server, add the existing disks to the VM, and then you can use the VM.

Second, right click the VM and see if the item "upgrade virtual hardware" appears. If it does, try to activate it. That will upgrade the VM to the current level, and then you can add hardware.

For the persistent disk, you can right click the disk and uncheck the independent mode, and that will take the disk out of persistent mode.

0 Kudos
alex777
Contributor
Contributor

Frist, VM Ware converter would make this process MUCH easier. It would work better too. If you don't have a license for converter, you can still do it, but you need to make a stand alone VM first. Make sure that you use 1 big file and not 2g file sizes. Also set the size of the disk to the ACTUAL size you are using, don't make it bigger. When you resize on the ESX server, it's faster and you can increase the size later if you need to. Then you can use winscp to copy the files from the stand alone VM to the ESX server, just copy the vm1.vmdk and vm1-flat.vmdk files, those are the only 2 you need. You create a new vm on the ESX server, add the existing disks to the VM, and then you can use the VM.

VMWare converter does not work correctly with soft raid on dynamic disks.

Second, right click the VM and see if the item "upgrade virtual hardware" appears. If it does, try to activate it. That will upgrade the VM to the current level, and then you can add hardware.

Item "upgrade virtual hardware" is not accessible. It does not exist on menu.

0 Kudos