VMware Cloud Community
mtalebi
Contributor
Contributor

Import ghost 9 image to Virtual Machine

This is my second posting I did not get any reply with my first one.

I have Windows 2003 on Dell Power Edge 1800 with Sata Raid Controller. I have used BartPE with Ghost 9 to make an image from this server. The image was created without any error and I have imported the Image to Virtual Server 1.x using import option, the import went okay with no error, but when I try to start this VM. it hangs on black screen and it does not boot.

I tried to add the Virtual disk of the new win 2003 as second drive on another VM and I can see my local drive and data drive without any problem I have even tried to change the boot.ini still I can not boot this new guest Win 2003.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert

You may want to try the free VMware Converter - it does this much simpler:

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you have already restored the ghost image to the VM, you may also be able to make the VM bootable by using the "Configure Machine" option of VMware Converter.

0 Kudos
mtalebi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Is this P2V converter, because I do not want to use to use that. I know P2V does this for me but I was looking for other solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Converter does P2V directly. It can also import the Ghost images files without you having to install the program on the original physical machine. But since you've already done the BartPE, as suggested, you can run Converter and choose "Configure Machine" instead of "Import Machine." They both do the same thing, with Import doing the additional step of converting the physical or Ghost image.

0 Kudos