VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Impact of removing vCPUs on Virtual Machine Stability

I have some SUSE Linux VMs that are not utilizing all of their vCPUs.  If I power off the VMs and remove a vCPU, what is the risk to the stability of the operating system when it boots up with one less vCPU?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think that should be fine - I would go ahead and try it - shut down the VM remove the vCPUs and reboot - if it does not reboot read the vCPU and you will need to replace the kernel that supports yje new vCPU count -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With current versions of Linux there should be no impact as long as their are no customization to the Linux kernel setting it to specific number of cpus -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK thanks.  Do you know by chance what version of SUSE linux do you have to have to have a "current" version that is safe to remove a vCPU?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not know off hand but I would say an version released within the last 8 years should be fine -

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Actually it looks like this is SUSE linux enterprise Server 11 SP1

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think that should be fine - I would go ahead and try it - shut down the VM remove the vCPUs and reboot - if it does not reboot read the vCPU and you will need to replace the kernel that supports yje new vCPU count -

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK thanks

0 Kudos