VMware Cloud Community
A_Y
Contributor
Contributor

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after migrate a Win 2k SP4 to Virtual Machine

Hi I'm having problem to migrate a physical Windows 2000 Server SP4 to a Virtual Machine on ESX Server 3.5. The physical Windows 2000 Server, which has three partitions (C, F, I), and was backed up using Symantec Backup Exec Recovery System Version 7 into images files. After successfully migrated to a virtual machine on the ESX Server using VMWare Converter, the virtual machine couldn't started up and returned with the blue screen with the following message:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF242F848, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

The message suggested to run CHKDSK /F to check and fix the errors on the boot device. However the same msg appears when I try to start the virtual machine in safe mode/command prompt mode. Any suggestion of a work around?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
spex
Expert
Expert

Seems to me that your disk driver is missing. (Don't know Symantec solution)

Try reconfigure vm by using vmconverter.

Try change lsi to buslogic or vice versa.

Regards

Spex

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

We have 1 VM that is Windows 2000. I had the same issue. I called it quits, rebuilt it, moved on.

0 Kudos
A_Y
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Spex, thx for reply. I have tried to use VMWare Converter to reconfigure the virtual machine, but it seems the reconfiguration option only allows me to install/de-install the vmware installation tool to the virtual machine.

You mentioned about changing Isi to buslogic or vice versa, how could I do it?

Thanks very much.

AY

0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I don't use VMware Converter on Guest OS because I had so many problems on the ESX. Now I'm using VMWare Converter with Bootable CD.

To modify the SCSI driver on the VM is a good idea. Windows 2000 doesn't like SCSI driver change when the OS is stopped. To do this, edit VM's settings, go to SCSI controler and click Change Type. Windows 2000 likes BusLogic Smiley Happy

Olivier

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Olivier ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
MC-303
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

as last option you can try this use the esx vmware tools.

http://diaryproducts.net/about/vmware/migrate_windows_xp_2000_to_vmware

0 Kudos
A_Y
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to change the SCSI Controller on the VM but none of the do any success for me.

I've ranged up to the VMWare Tech. Support guys, and it seems that this is not an unusual problem , and may caused by various reasons. And I also discovered we've got a bit of problem with the image file itself anyway. O well we have finally come with a decision to rebuild the VM from scratch and hopefully this time it should be as smooth as silk.

Anyway thanks for the comments from you guys and really appreciate your replies.

AY

0 Kudos
wint3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

late response i know, but hey - better late than never Smiley Happy

I have just P2V'd (actually V2V'd) a windows 2000 host to my esx server. Got the 0x0000007b bluescreen err. Screwed about for a bit with the scsiport.sys driver. but the solution was actually too easy:

in the VI client, right click the freshly imported VM and go 'Reconfigure' - ensure that you have set the OS type correctly in the VM config, let the reconfig wizard install the vmtools - and hey-presto Smiley Happy no more BSOD...

0 Kudos
leonardo1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That procedure i think work´s in the windows 2000 too.

The source virtual machine does not have the appropriate drivers

A log file error message such as "Unable to find symmpi.sys in the specified CAB files," indicates that reconfiguration failed because the appropriate drivers are not present on the source operating system. This is usually observed in Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 1.

Workaround 1:

Set aside the virtual machine created during the failed import.

Attach the VMDK file containing the system folder to another Windows 2003 virtual machine.

Replace the WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab file in the target virtual machine with a version of the driver.cab file that includes the missing driver from the helper virtual machine.

Detach the VMDK file from the helper virtual machine and run the Configure Machine wizard on the target virtual Machine.

Workaround 2:

Replace the driver.cab file, as mentioned in step 3, in the source virtual and physical machine before the migration.

Rerun the migration

0 Kudos