VMware Cloud Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IBM websphere licensing in VM

anybody know the IBM websphere licensing policy in VM?

in physical machine, i remember it's by core.

say i have 1 physical machine with 2 cpu quad core, and have 3 vm all run websphere cluster running on it, each vm configed with 2 vcpu.

should i license each vm one by one, or only license the physcial then i can run unlimited websphere instance on the ESX?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Sad to say but it is the same on VM as in a psysical server. So we put our websphere servers on the Dualcore.. to keep the price down.

IBM has a point system to calculate the license and i am pretty sure that a single core is 100 points pr core, dual and quad core is 50 points pr core,

So start the calculations. I know that IBM also have alot of problems themselve to caluculate the prise.. Smiley Wink

So the answer must be that you have to pay for etch of your VM's as if they had the hardware all for them self...

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so your answer is: total license fee = (number of VMs with websphere) x (license fee for physical machine), nomatter how many vCPU i configured for vm, is my understanding correct?

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

You are just right, the vCpu doesn't matter. So just give them all they can get Smiley Wink

Our App. management had a lot of discussions with IBM about this licensing and this is the way we do it today. And that has been "approved" by them.

br lars

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IBM websphere license for VM is counted by cores on physical machine, no matter the vCPU configured in VM

0 Kudos
ktwebb68
Contributor
Contributor

Old thread so you've probably long since gotten your answer but in case anyone else finds the thread via search there is a model for VM's when dealing with Websphere licensing.

The language, if you look at IBM's documentation is needlessly wordy and complicated. They do it because of cluster resource pools available to a VM or the ability to overcomitting but in an nutshell it's the lesser of the two formulas and for most environments it will be her vCPU vs actual Host cores.

0 Kudos