VMware Cloud Community
drewlep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I need to run a 32-Bit virtual Machine on a 64-bit Host. Is this Possible?

I need to run a 32-Bit virtual Machine on a 64-bit Host. Is there a VMware virtual machine that does this? (VMware player) I down loaded player 12 but wouldn't run the 32-bit software. Went back and checked what I had down loaded and it was 64 bit machine. So, is it possible for a 32-bit Virtual Machine to run on 64-bit host. The Software is Mitsubishi Electric, Visual Logic Software, Ver 2.60.

programming software for alpha & alpha2 series controller. I've signed up with Mitsubishi Electric and downloaded the software but its missing some of options that are loaded from the CD.

Drewlep

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can verify the host OS 64-bit or 32-bit by going to Control Panel - System and Security - System. It should show "64-bit Operating System" if it is 64-bit in the "System Type". Sorry I can't think of a shortcut way to confirm it.

Assuming the host OS is 64-bit:

When you create a new VM (shortcut key Ctrl+N), it depends on how you install the guest OS.

If you are installing using a DVD/CDROM or an ISO file, it can automatically detect the OS and version (in most cases). If you choose the "Install the operating system later" option, it should present you with a list of choices and you choose accordingly. The "install operating system later" option will just create a "blank" VM and you have to initiate the installation of the guest OS yourself. Using the bootable DVD/CDROM or ISO file option, usually it can detect the OS version and trigger the installation of the guest OS VM.

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you can run 32-bit guests on 64-bit hosts, and vice-versa. It's actually the host's CPU (i.e. its feature set) which is important.

André

0 Kudos
drewlep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just some more information the processor I'm running in my old laptop is an Intel(R)Core(TM)i3 CPU M370@2.40 GHz

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Short answer is yes.

Long answer:

The i3-370M CPU that you have in your laptop should be fine as it has VT-x and EPT. I have an even older CPU (Core 2 Duo 9700) that runs 32-bit guest OS fine with VMware Player 12.5.8 on 64-bit Ubuntu host OS. The capabilities of the CPU are exposed to the guest OS. The moment you can successful install and boot up the 32-bit VM OS is already an indicator.

As for the "missing options", it might be the case the Visual Logic software has some prerequisite software that has to be installed or particular Service Pack level for the OS (in the case of old Windows OS like Windows 2000/XP).

Depending on the software vendor packaging, sometimes these prerequisites are not installed on your behalf and that you have to install them explicitly. Example of prerequisite software would be things like Visual Basic 6.0 runtime, or Microsoft Visual C++ runtime DLL, or .NET Framework, or Java runtime.

You just have to check what those prerequisites are for Visual Logic. Sometimes, these prerequisites come together with the software CD in a separate folder. Sometimes, you have to download them from Microsoft website (for VB, VC++, .NET framework) or Oracle (for Java runtime) and then install them.

0 Kudos
drewlep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This the virtual machine," VMware® Workstation 12 Player ,12.5.8 build-7098237" I've downloaded the 64-bit version not realizing I needed the 32-bit player. I've been looking for the 32-bit version on the website but cannot find it. I've been through the settings of the virtual machine and cannot find any way to change system, on the existing system or starting from scratch, or am I missing something?  I've got the non commercial version should I up grade?

drewlep

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is your host OS? Is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

The last VMware Player version that supported 32-bit host OS is VMware Player 6.x. I think for Workstation the last version that supported 32-bit host was version 9.x. That was many years ago.

The latest paid version of Workstation Pro 14.x no longer supports 32-bit host OS. Your host OS has to be 64-bit Windows 7/8.1/10 or 64-bit Linux. Same applies for Workstation Player 12.5.8.

However you can still run a 32-bit guest OS VM with either Workstation Pro/Player 12.5.x or 14.x. For example, you can still run a 32-bit Windows XP as a VM with Workstation Player 12.5.8 with a Windows 7 64-bit or Linux 64-bit host.

drewlep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host O/S Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1.

Am i missing something in the settings menu when making the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can verify the host OS 64-bit or 32-bit by going to Control Panel - System and Security - System. It should show "64-bit Operating System" if it is 64-bit in the "System Type". Sorry I can't think of a shortcut way to confirm it.

Assuming the host OS is 64-bit:

When you create a new VM (shortcut key Ctrl+N), it depends on how you install the guest OS.

If you are installing using a DVD/CDROM or an ISO file, it can automatically detect the OS and version (in most cases). If you choose the "Install the operating system later" option, it should present you with a list of choices and you choose accordingly. The "install operating system later" option will just create a "blank" VM and you have to initiate the installation of the guest OS yourself. Using the bootable DVD/CDROM or ISO file option, usually it can detect the OS version and trigger the installation of the guest OS VM.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
drewlep
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all you help bluefirestorm, I started following the steps as shown but started from the Microsoft CD. This time, the Windows XP install took a lot longer (at least 20 minutes) than last time and found it easy to load the Mitsubishi software accept theirs no PDF program on this XP disc( not sure if PDF was even around at the time of XP starting) and the start button is in the PDF document. So I found the install "exe" file and got it running that way.

I'm guessing that on the first machine that some of XP files didn't load for some reason, also I've downloaded VM tool box, Maybe my old laptop had a problem at same time.

Any how its working. BIG THANKS bluefirestorm.

0 Kudos