VMware Cloud Community
f_gaviria
Contributor
Contributor

I am Trying to P To V using converter 3.0.1 and i am getting at error when it gets to 2%. Please Help

Gentls hi

I am using VMware converter 3.01 Built 44840

I am trying to P to V , and when the process starts and gets to 2% i get the following

01:45:45 PM Step 1 : Connecting to VMware Converter Agent on ny-sps01

01:45:45 PM Step 2 : Creating target virtual machine and importing data

01:45:48 PM Configuring parameters for the target virtual machine...

01:45:49 PM Creating target virtual machine...

01:46:04 PM ERROR: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent

Note: VMware Converter Agent logs can be found on ny-sps01 at C:\WINDOWS\Temp\vmware-temp\vmware-converter*

VMware Converter Client logs on this computer can be exported, or found at "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\1\vmware-temp\vmware-client*"

VMware Converter logs are stored on a temporary basis, and should be retrieved as soon as possible.

The piece that i am getting from the logs read the following, i also attached the whole log for your review

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.FileOpenError)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Any Suggestions, Please help

Any suggestions

0 Kudos
7 Replies
emashaal1
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure your destination has enough space and proper block size for the size of the machine your trying to import.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Have you double check your credentials, firewall and basic network settings make sure they all correct? What version of ESX hosts and how you P2V them using cold or hot clone? Have you try using cold boot CD to see if it works? What is the physical server model sometimes you have to inject drivers to make it work but its rare cases. You can read more similiar in this thread http://communities.vmware.com/message/751898

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
f_gaviria
Contributor
Contributor

Mr azn2kew thanks for your prompt response

Yes all firewall and network connections were all checked.

The esx os that I'm currently using is 3.2

I don't understand when you say "cold or hot clone , I don't know or the

relation of p2v using a cold bootcd

The physical server is an HP Proliant 380 server

When you said inject driver, what kind of drivers you are referring to?

Please advise

Thanks

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Cold P2V clone using a bootable CD that you can download from www.vmware.com and use it to boot up your physical server and go through the P2V migration from there. Hot P2V clone is when your physical server is still running live and do a hot conversion. Inject drivers mean that sometimes your physical servers NIC drivers or controllers aren't working properly so you have to download the one that supported such as Dell servers uses PERC or others using LSI and you have to manually created the boot disk that integrated those NICs and its lengthy process you don't need to at this point.

Can you try using P2V Converter 4.0 standalone to see if it works better or try cold clone as mentioned and you should have appropriate permission and destination storage should handle the server disk space. Once you done with P2V you still need to remove those "zombies/stale devices" and double check the HAL CPU level to uniprocessor or multiprocessor if you using 2vCPU VM.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
f_gaviria
Contributor
Contributor

Stefan hi

Thanks for your quick response.

I upgrade my current version on the vm converter to 4.0, and still I

have the issue. I want to try the CD approach. Can you provided me

with the specific link for me to download and try it, I will appreciate

it

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

The .iso file is 98MB in side and you can click here and sign in and select the boot cd component to download and burn it with Imgburn if you want.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
f_gaviria
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Stephan

I will try this approach and will let you know

Enjoy your weekend

0 Kudos