VMware Cloud Community
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor

How to recover the VM from blue screen

Hi,

In ESX4.0 setup, using vCenter 4.0 i have created a VM( DBserver) and allocated 1.5GB and 12GB HD space with 2vCPU.

In started to choke this Database server(SQL server running inside) using Sysbench.

this applicaiton will create a trans.txt file and this file size got increased to 5 GB by accumulating the things.

it showed me the warning of "disk usage space".

I intended to delete this file,but couldnt.

so i restarted this VM and after that i am not able to bringup this VM. It always turns to blue screen.

In offlline i tried to increase the memory and HD space.

even after that also i am not able to bringup the machine.

Can anyone suggest how to recover this VM ?

Is there any way to access this "trans.txt" file and delete this.

Badly looking for solution.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I know this is going to sound obvious but have you tried to add the hard drive as a secondary drive of another vm and tried to clear up the space?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Gregg Robertson, VCP, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

But in this case, even before adding the additional HD space/memory i have got the blue screen..

Is there any way to recover this VM ?

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sure

But what i'm saying is not to add an additional disk to the blue screening box but to add the primary drive of the blue screening machine to another vm as a secondary and then free up the space.

I'm guessing you didnt do any kind of snapshots before running that tool?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
RolandK
Contributor
Contributor

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren

Ich bin vom 31.07.2009 bis und mit 24.08.2009 nicht im Hause. Ihre E-Mail wird nicht weitergeleitet.

In dringenden Fällen wenden Sie sich bitte an Hrn. J. Newman

john.newman@ak-bs.ch

0 Kudos
BurnZ
Contributor
Contributor

I would agree with Firestartah. The same has happened to me as adding it as a secondary drive allowed me to access the drive contents and free up the space or in my case clear the virus that was causing the constant rebooting

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You may try to use VMware P2V Converter to expand the drives space and boot up again to see if it work. If not, use different virtual machine and mount the existing vmdk disk which is the corrupted machine as a data drive and then extract file trans.txt from it or you can even share vmdk disks among virtual machines such as cluster configuration type of sharing. You can also use BartPE LiveCD or any type of LiveCD to boot from it and then extract the file that way too.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yep - doing the clean up with a LiveCD such as VistaPE or BartPE is much much cleaner than the dirty hack with adding the disk to a helper VM

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanking you for the excellent replies.

i will try to use the BartPE/Live CD.

Admitting myself as a newbiew, can anyone guide me with the step by step approach to do this.

i havent used this BartPE/Live CD before.

blocked in the starting phase itself Smiley Sad

Thanks,

kamal.

0 Kudos
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for your contribution,

i have added the affected vmdk file to the existing VM's. then i deleted that trans.txt file.

Now i am able to boot the VM with out any hassle. Smiley Happy

Thanks once again for the solution.

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Glad it all worked =0)

0 Kudos