VMware Cloud Community
Shamal_chalil1
Contributor
Contributor

How to import a vm or physical machine to ESX 4.0

Dear Team

Please help me to import a physical machine to esx 4.0 ( Online convertion ) is it required to install seperate plug in???

Regards

Shamal

0 Kudos
4 Replies
norregaard
Expert
Expert

Use the VMware Converter Standalone 4. It's free. Yes, it is required to install a Converter Agent on the target machine.

http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/

0 Kudos
Shamal_chalil1
Contributor
Contributor

Hai

Thanks for your reply

I think this is offline converter. I want to know how convert physical machine from Vcenter. ( In 2.5 we need to install one plug in & enable but in 4.0 it is not able to find out)

Please help.

Regards

Shamal

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I think this is offline converter.

No, it can convert systems online.

I want to know how convert physical machine from Vcenter. ( In 2.5 we need to install one plug in & enable but in 4.0 it is not able to find out)

You still need the plugin. You find it in the VCenter source installation directory under "\Converter".

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

This converter can do live migrations of physical machines to virtual. But only cold migration of V2V. The standalone version is newer and has more features than the one integrated in vCenter 4.

To install the plugin in vCenter, run the installation CD from the vCenter server and install from there or run the .exe file in the Converter folder called 'VMware-Converter.exe' on the CD. Then activate the plugin under manage plugins i VI client.

0 Kudos