VMware Cloud Community
ejward
Expert
Expert

How to get files to and from VM on isolated network?

I have several VM's that are on their own private nework. Sort of a virtual lab. We use the Virtual Center console to use the servers. Remote Desktop won't work because they are not on the public network.

How do people out there get files to and from VMs?

Sure, we can burn everything to a CD and mount the CD at the client side. That's a pain.

We could stick them in an ISO and mount that too. Another pain.

I could set up a VM that has connectivity to the public and private network but, these are VMs that are quickly put up for a week or two then taken down.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

How would you accomplish this if the device in question were a physical PC? Use the same methodologies here.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

If it's a truly isolated environment, you don't have much choice when it comes to transfering files. CD-ROMs, usb drives etc.

However,

If you can get away with it, a multi-homed machine in the middle is an option. Have this box with something like an FTP server running or NFS.

You could always firewall off the ports you don't want creeping in/out.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

How would you accomplish this if the device in

question were a physical PC? Use the same

methodologies here.

I'd physically walk into the computer room and stick a CD into the server. But, we don't have any physical servers on their own network. very expensive.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>I'd physically walk into the computer room and stick a CD into the server.

Right, you'd use SneakerNet™. So, in the case of a virtual computer, you need virtual SneakerNet™. Basically, the methods you already outlined.

As Mr_T said, if it's isolated, then that's kind of the point of it being isolated. You can't connect to it. Therefore, you cannot transfer anything over a network to/from it.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

All good points but, it would be pretty cool if ESX allowed you connect to a folder on your PC as it allows CD and floppy connectivity. Or, have a built in function to mount a local folder as a hard drive like in Workstation.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, I can see how this would be good, but true isolation should be just that 'isolated'. Otherwise you'll compromise the setup.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

But what if this wasn't a lab environment? What if this was just a remote office on a different subnet?

Is there a utility out there that could create an ISO on the fly? maybe something that mounts a folder as an ISO?

just some random ideas.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

But what if this wasn't a lab environment? What if this was just a remote office on a different subnet?

Then it wouldn't be a virtual machine, now, would it?

Is there a utility out there that could create an ISO on the fly? maybe something that mounts a folder as an ISO?

Sure, lots of programs that do that on Windows hosts, or Linux hosts, etc. The problem here is that you are talking about ESX, NOT one of the hosted products. What would you mount the ISO to? Or, what "folder" are you referring to?

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

Then it wouldn't be a virtual machine? Why not? I have ESX servers running VMs all over the place. Why put a domain controller, Exchange server, and a file server in a remote office when you can have a single piece of hardware? I've got an ESX server at a DR location too. If there's a VM I have to get a file to it's just a pain in the butt.

"What would you mount the ISO to? Or, what "folder" are you referring to?

"

When you choose to mount your local CD ROM drive from the console window, you have the option of mounting a local ISO instead. I could use a program like WIN RAR or Ultra ISO to create an ISO that I could mount to the VM. But, it would be much easier to just point to the file or folder I want to mount to the VM rather than having to use another program to create an ISO first. Unless there was a program out there that created an ISO on the fly?

Here's my specific situation. I did a P2V of our domain controllers to an ESX server. They HAD to be isolated. later, i needed to install a packet capture program to help diagnose a problem. No internet, no remote desktop, no mapping. What a pain. I had to burn the software to a CD then attach the CD to the VM.

I was just thinking that there must be a better way. Even if this wasn't an isolated network, wouldn't be great if you could just add a shared folder to the VM like you can in Workstation?

0 Kudos