VMware Cloud Community
kulkarnisc2000
Contributor
Contributor

How to determine if Operating System is installed on VM ?

Hi,

I have created new virtual machine on ESX server through VC, but haven't installed any Operating System on it.

My question is how to determine if Operating System is installed or not through VI SDK.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you just created the VM and it's virtual disk (vmdk) through VC and have not installed the OS on it, then there isn't any OS installed on it.

If you chose to use an existing vmdk file while creating the VM, then the only way you'll know is to power on that VM to find out.

--sanjana

0 Kudos
vmkillies
Contributor
Contributor

During the time of creating Virtual machine from VC it gives you an option to select the Operating system.

But Even if you do that you have to mount the CD or ISO using the CDROM connection option>rightclick vm created >> Edit Settings > Under Hardware Tab you get the option to mount the CD or ISO.

And as correctly said until you install some OS nothing is installed on the disk, it just like you bought a new server and did not installed anything on it and looking for OS .:|

0 Kudos
kulkarnisc2000
Contributor
Contributor

I dont want to check by starting it, is there any way to check it by VI SDK function or Property(programatically) ?

0 Kudos