VMware Cloud Community
bigteks
Contributor
Contributor

How to change disk signatures of cloned VMs

Is there a straighforward way to change disk signatures after cloning a VM? I know you can change it with diskpart but I saw a note that changing the system drive disk sgnature might affect the ability to boot.

The problem occurs when temporarilly mounting vmdks on another VM (post-W2K3 Windows VM). If any mounted drives are clones of each other or clones of the same source drive they can't coexist on the same VM until the disk signature collision is resolved.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> The problem occurs when temporarilly mounting vmdks on another VM (post-W2K3 Windows VM).

Yep - simply do not do that - for temporary mounts of boot-disks use Windows7 or 2008 LiveCDs - they do not change disk signatures

0 Kudos
bigteks
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone actually know how to safely change disk sigs?

Livecd is not helpful. My application requires mounting the disks on another VM. The sigs are already colliding because they came from cloned VMs.

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sysinternals had a tool to do that

0 Kudos