VMware Cloud Community
kkshirsagar
Contributor
Contributor

How to allocate 8 CPU cores to an VM

Hello All,

I have a server which have 16 cores however when I want to allocate a CPU to a virtual machine I can only

allocate 4 CPU. Is there any way to do max utilization of these 16 cores.I have installed oracle on this VM.

Which is not performing well.

Thanks,

Kaps

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TheVirtualNut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX v3.0x = 4 x VCPU's max

ESX v3.5 = 8 x VCPU's max

Nuts!

0 Kudos
kkshirsagar
Contributor
Contributor

No dude on ESX 3.5 its 4 CPU only. I am using that only

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

With ESX 3.5 you can only allocate 4 vCPUs to your VMs and thus only be able to use the computing power of 4 physical CPU cores. Were you previously running this on a physical server with 8 cores?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Not possible, 4 vcpu's is the max at this moment. So only 4 cores used at a time by this specific VM.

But if it's slow, try pin pointing these vcpu's on specific cores. Or give more shares and see what happens. What else is running on this machine?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
kkshirsagar
Contributor
Contributor

Oracle and some java application is running. So do u meanto say that I cant get more processing power that these 4 cores?

0 Kudos
TheVirtualNut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My bad....i was thinking of a certain future version hopefully out early next year.... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

That's what I'm saying indeed. these 4 vcpu's will be scheduled to 4 cores at the same time. no more.

are there other vm's running on this ESX host?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
kkshirsagar
Contributor
Contributor

yes there is one more windows VM which I have given 1CPU.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

than scheduling shouldn't be a problem if you have 16 cores and only 6 vcpu's used (4 for oracle 1 for the other vm and 1 for the service console)

besides the default stuff like giving more shares this is hard to troubleshoot. you could disable hyperthreading just to see what happens.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
kkshirsagar
Contributor
Contributor

HT is already disabled.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

than i would suggest calling support and see what they will come up with. could be anything down to san performance. you could try to look for the bottleneck yourself via "esxtop" look for paging / balooning / disk queues.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos