VMware Cloud Community
eminemkandy
Contributor
Contributor

How to Move VM's from one server to another in ESXi

I have to servers running Esxi connected to iSCSI both serers can see the same LUN ( 101) so how to move VM's from server A to B with Snap shots

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well the answer depends on what got beside the two ESX Server. If you

A.) Have Virtual Center you should put the two ESXi Hosts in Virtual Center perferable in a Cluster you have to build so you can use VMotion (Online Migration) from one ESX to the other.

B.) Just the two ESX Servers you have to shutdown the VM's unregister them on the ESX Host they are running right now and reregister them on the other ESX Host and turn them on again.

Regards

Michael Haverbeck

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
eminemkandy
Contributor
Contributor

I don' t Have VC. I can't unregister the VM's as the server A local hard disk been viped out when i upgraded to esx4!!

0 Kudos
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I thought the VMs are on the ISCSI Device used by the two ESX Servers.

Download the VMs through your datastore browser from server a and upload them on Server B.

Regards

Michael Haverbeck

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
eminemkandy
Contributor
Contributor

I have already uploaded but i can't see the snap shots in the snap shot manager!!

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does the snapshot very important to u? Do u able to register the VMs on Server B and bring it up without snapshot?

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
eminemkandy
Contributor
Contributor

i dnt know if i reregister the VM (as i dont knw how to)!!

This is what i did:

In server B i created a new VM with same as the old VM, when it comes to create Hard disk part i selected the old VM's hard drive when i switch the VM on it loads, But when i log in to the VM all the printers and printe software is missing (printe server) but i can recall when i build the server before installing the software i toke a snapshot of it!!!1 but when i go to snapshot manager i cant see any of the snapshots!!

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Meaning, your new VMs without snapshot and all changes you made previously (install hardware, software) lost edi. Next time :

• To register VMs -> Browse datastore -> VMs folder -> right click .vmx -> add to inventory

• To Cold migrate VMs, use converter 4 standalone (BTW, this also will commit the snapshot)

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos