VMware Cloud Community
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

How to I un-suspend a Virtual machine

Hi,

One of the suer accidentally suspend a virtual machine and when I try to power it on, I got error "insufficient disk space on data-store" and then it geos back to suspend state. Would someone tell me what is the proper way to un-suspend the virtual machine??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
kukacz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried to explore the space warning? It might need to allocate a swap space to start. The swap size should be the difference between configured and reserved memory. So, maybe increasing the memory reservation might help.

--

Lukas Kubin

0 Kudos
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

Is there another way to take the VM out of the suspend state besides powering it on??

0 Kudos
kukacz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure, I would probably try to look at the .vmx (configuration) file of that VM.

--

Lukas Kubin

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Have you tried these:

vmware-cmd <vm_cfg> start

if not, try

vmware-cmd <vm_cfg> stop trysoft

or

vmware-cmd <vm_cfg> stop hard

Hope one of these help you!

0 Kudos
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

What is the <_cfg> referring to??

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

It refers to the VMX file (complete path including the filename)

0 Kudos
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that but I got errors saying that the operation could not be performed in the current state (suspend)

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

You might want to check your communications with your storage system. I've seen similar issued when the SAN "lost" the IDs of the virtural servers. The fix was to remove the vitural servers from the SAN and represent them.

Never found out from the SAN folks why there was the communications problem but as soon as the servers were represented, I could boot them without error messages.

Mike

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Ok, try this...

This is a document someone posted in the forums, I have removed some images that might be protected. I think it still could be helpful.

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Found it! It is the last thread on page 1

http://communities.vmware.com/message/948937

0 Kudos
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information.

I finally shutdown another VM and that allow me to migrate it to another datastore and thus release the disk space. The power on the suspended VMs.

Thanks everyone for thier help.

0 Kudos