VMware Cloud Community
pakra0
Contributor
Contributor

How much info abour ESX server can be gathered from a VM?

Hello All,

we run number of VMs running SLES9 and SLES10 on our three ESX servers. VMware tools have been installed and are running on the guests.

From ESX perspective all information about VMs is readily available (of course). What about other way round? How much information about ESX server can be obtained from within VM? In particular is it possible to find out the name of current ESX server the guest is running on?

Thanks

Pavel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

The guest can't grab this information from its running host.

I can't think of an easy way for a running guest to easily identify which ESX hosts it's running on with ESX.

gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It cannot find out anything about the host as this would go against the isolation rule.

pakra0
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you guys! These were quick answers!

Cheers

Pavel

0 Kudos
markok
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you can't obtain any specific and detailed information about your Host ESX Server itself. However with Windows VMs you can see specific VMware related devices in Device Manager. Now I haven't done any deep research (no need) about these devices but maybe with BIOS version, SVGA display driver, network driver etc. versions you can get a hint of the ESX Server family (ESX 2.x / 3.x). Same works with your SLES.

And also these VMware Tools driver versions might reveal some information about your ESX server.

Like I said, I haven't done any testing and researching and these hints are based purely on my instinct.

0 Kudos