VMware Cloud Community
AliciaC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you change the screen size of VM?

Hi, all.

I seem to have a problem when I'm trying to enlarge the VM screento fit the full screen of my monitor. Even when I adjust the frame, the active screen of VM itself stays small. How can I flexibly change the VM screen size?

I'm attaching a screen capture image of what I see when I try to adjust the VM screen to full screen.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Alicia,

Sorry for this mess, it was Ctrl+Alt+Enter in Workstation, please see below forthe shortcuts.

Keyboard Shortcuts for VMware Workstation

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Alicia,

Have you installed VM Tools on this VM? This setting is based on the OS and VMware Tools. Can you do "Shift + Enter" on your keyboard and see what happens.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
AliciaC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, V.

I just tried and nothing happens. I don't think I have VM Tools installed on my VM. Where can I go to get it installed?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Alicia,

Okay, nothing happened because there were no VM tools. Is it a Windows VM or Linux VM? There are different VM tools installation methods for both.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

if you want to install vmware tools in order to be able to re-size vm screen, check this vmware's kb:

VMware KB: General VMware Tools installation instructions

Best regards,

Pablo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
AliciaC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, V.

I'm using a Windows VM. I hope the link Pablo provided me will be suffice. Thanks for the help!

Sincerely, Alicia.

0 Kudos
AliciaC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Pablo.

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely check this out. Hope it works!

Sincerely, Alicia.

0 Kudos
AliciaC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, V.

I just finished installing VMware Tools. What can I do next to enlarge the screen?

Thanks.

Sincerely, Alicia.

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Alicia,

Click on the VM screen once and then try Shift+Enter. It should goto full screen mode.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
AliciaC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, V.

Hate to throw you off, but shift+enter doesn't seem to work. It doesn't do anything. Is there another way I can get full screen via clicking or something?
I can't believe something so simple can get this hard.

Sincerely, Alicia.

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Alicia,

Sorry for this mess, it was Ctrl+Alt+Enter in Workstation, please see below forthe shortcuts.

Keyboard Shortcuts for VMware Workstation

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

check this vmware's kb, maybe it would be helpful:

VMware Workstation 10 Documentation Center

I'm not really know if you are using workstation ...

Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Pablo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
AliciaC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, V.

I tried Ctrl+Alt+enter and the frame does become full screen while the active screen itself stays the same size. The black rims, just like that in the screen captured image I have uploaded earlier, just becomes thicker.

Actually, as I was writing this reply, a notice popped up advising me to install VMware Tools, which is utterly confusing since I have already downloaded them.

Anyways, I proceeded to click on the "install" button provided by the pop-up for VMware Tools, and now a new error notice pops up stating

"unable to mount VMware Tools. Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with: mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /media/cdrom1 busy"

What do you think this means?
The problem seems to get bigger by the minute...

Sincerely, Alicia.

0 Kudos
AliciaC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, V!

I just figured it all out! I've got full screen now atlast!

Thanks so much for all the advice!!!!! :smileygrin:

Sincerely, Alicia.

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ah nice! I was just scratching my head that if it didn't work this time then what will I do. Smiley Happy

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos