VMware Cloud Community
EdDotCom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I resize the C: parition on a virtual machine on an ESX host?

We have a virtual machine on an ESX 3.01 host that has a C: partition that is 12GB. We want to expand it to 25GB. I've tried using the method outlined here:

http://www.seandeasy.com/expanding-a-drive-within-a-vmware-image

but this is specific to VMware server and uses the command "vmware-vdiskmanager." So being resourceful I took the vmware-vdiskmanager command file off of a VMware Server, and copied the vmdk over. I then tried using this command on the vmdk for the VM it gave the error:

"Failed to open the disk 'TEST02.vmdk' : The specified feature isn't supported by this version (24)."

Can anyone please tell me the best way to resize the C: partition for a VM that's running on an ESX Host? Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to point vmkfstools to the descriptor file (the short vmdk) and not the flat file.

You also need to strip the B from GB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
EdDotCom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that's a great resource! I'm trying method one and getting the following error when I run the vmkfstool command:

vmkfstools -X 25GB /vmfs/volumes/46cbeec5-92a82e18-05e3-00188b4a6382/TEST02/TEST02-flat.vmdk

The error is:

Invalid length specifier: 25GB

Any ideas? Sorry if this is obvious, I really appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to point vmkfstools to the descriptor file (the short vmdk) and not the flat file.

You also need to strip the B from GB

0 Kudos
EdDotCom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you again, question answered! First post marked helpful and second marked correct.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the points.

0 Kudos
EdDotCom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, next roadblock. We were able to resize the partition and Windows sees the empty space. However when we boot into GParted it is unable to see the devices.

The virtual machine is running Windows 2003 64Bit Standard - could this be part of the issue?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hmm, I never used gparted but this could be the case.

Do you have another VM were you can attach the disk temporarily to use the diskpart approach (even a XP VM will work)

0 Kudos
EdDotCom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We will give this a shot, thanks.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Side note: you can only use diskpart if the C: partition is the only (or to be exact) the last partition on the disk.

Otherwise you have to take the imaging approach.

EdDotCom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again! We ended up using Converter which allowed us to resize quickly and painlessly (Method #2 on the link you provided.)

0 Kudos