VMware Cloud Community
str1911
Contributor
Contributor

How correctly to do backup VM through VCBMounter?

Hi !

Severals ESX Server 3.0.1

VM - win2k, win2k3

Backup server - win2k3

I made backup VM using cron activated sript. The script calls vcbMounter. Backups are done on mounted SMB share folder.

I always get the error - in Virtual Infrastructure Client as the last snapshot appears VCB-BACKUP, and on SMB a disk files (backup is made not completely) are copied not all.

How can I organize VCB Backup on Backup server?

How can I organize VCB Backup for Oracle and MS SQL?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

You use vcbMounter from a cron script running on your ESX Server?

When the backup finishes it should automatically delete the delta it creates. If it is not it may not be finished by the time the next backup is ready to run.

Use of SMB as the backup medium is not suggested as it has performance issues at this moment. VMware is aware of these. Using SMB will guarranttee that the backup is not finished before the next one starts. I would copying the backup to a local drive then compressing it and copying that over the wire. Or using something like VizionCore's vRanger product which can backup over the network quickly.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky, author of the forthcoming 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', publishing January 2008, (c) 2008 Pearson Education.

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
JWC
Contributor
Contributor

Try upgrading to ESX 3.0.2, VC 2.0.2 and VCB 1.0.3. VMware addressed bugs in previous releases of VCB.

JWC

0 Kudos
str1911
Contributor
Contributor

I made upgrade ESX 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 by esxupdate -n update. After that vcbBackup began to work more slowly approximately in 10 times!

0 Kudos
JWC
Contributor
Contributor

Did you upgrade to VCB 1.0.3 and Virtual Center 2.0.2 also?

0 Kudos
str1911
Contributor
Contributor

No. I did't upgrade to VCB 1.0.3, because i don't use VMware Consolidated Backup. I use Service Console to Back Up and Restore Virtual Machines (vcbMounter). And i don't use Virtual Center to.

0 Kudos
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

There is a bug in 3.0.2 that affects SMB transfers.

jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The patch is at:

And seems that SMB transfers are better

0 Kudos
str1911
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos
str1911
Contributor
Contributor

On vcbMounter backup on SMB share (VM : win2k3, 3 logical disks in total volume 50 GB) 1.5 hours leave approximately. It is normal?

0 Kudos