VMware Cloud Community
Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High PF Usage

I have a 64bit Windows 2003, with SQL Server installed that has 8vCPUs, and 120GB of RAM. I'm noticing that my PF Usage is very high and keeps on increasing. This VM is the only VM that I have running on my ESX host. Although it's only the VM running, I did give this VM a reservation of 110GB.

In the OS (advanced tab) my "Virtual Memory" is only set to 1536-3072MB.

So can someone explain why my PF usage is High and keeps on growing?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For the virtual memeory try setting it to "system managed size" .

Also if it's the only machine on the esx server you should need to allocate it the memory as it's the only one using it and therefore will use it when needed.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Gregg Robertson, VCP3,4 , MCSE, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

You can also move your page file to a drive other than C: for better performance. Set the initial size and the maximum page file to the same size if you are using a custom page file. for example if you have 2GB of memory set your page file to 4096MB. Also are you cetain your SQL server requires that many vCPU's and memory? If it had those resource needs it might be better off physical.

Mike

0 Kudos