VMware Cloud Community
Contributor
Contributor

High CPU Utilization after P2V of CTX 4.5 Presentation Server using VM P2V.

Hi,

I am having an issue where I P2V my Citrix servers with VMWares P2V Client. I am currently using ESXi Server to host my servers. Here is a preakdown

1. 1 Physical ESXi Server

• Dell 2950's

• Quad Core Xeon E5405 Processor2x6MB Cache 2.0 GHz 1333 MHz FSB x 2

• 4GB Ram

2 Citrix servers (1 Datacollector, 1 passive server - Both same CTX Farm in a 4.5 Presentation Enviornment using SQL Express)

• Server 2 1.5GB Ram (non-datacollector) was the first server to be P2V and runs great

• Server 1 1.5GB Ram (Data Collector) is the server which is having issue. Its ok with about 6 or 9 people logged in however anything after this there will cause the CPU to spike to 100%

I am goign to try to add a 2nd virtual processor and then assign each server to 2 processors.

Any other Idea's and yes I have uninstalled and re-installed the vmware tools.

Thank yo

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

So no one has any suggestions or answers for me?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Well as an update after adding the 2nd virtual processor the processor useage runs about 60 - 100 % fluctuating constantly which is understandable however that is still high on the cpu.

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I'm not an expert on running Citrix on VMware. However, one best practice I do know is: Never P2V, always go for a clean install in a VM. CPU spikes to 100% is not strange btw, the users are simply sharing a single core so the core running at 100% is not weird in itself. Only if the users start to experience delays, there might be a problem. It also depends heavilly on the applications and the behaviour of the users on the system...

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I am still having issues. Is there anything in Advanced settings that I can try regarding memory or cpu?

0 Kudos
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Have you tried to stop the VMware tools service and to change the "display acceleration" to none on the VM?

It was working for one of my customer using VMware ESX 3.0.1.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks for your response. When you say change the display acceleration to none are you refering to the hardware acceleration within advanced properties of display or is there another option in VMware ESXi settings you are referring to? Perhaps I should check also to see if I have it optimized for thin client with the vmware tools installation but last I remember I installed the thin client support.

0 Kudos
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi. I confirm that I refer to the hardware acceleration within advanced properties of display within the VM.

I remember that the Citrix VM allows only 4 users before this configuration and stopping the VMware Tools service within the VM.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hey M.Y. thanks again this is always the first thing I do when I set up my VM's I alwayse enable hardware acceleration. I spoke to a Dell tech and she referred to something as a bug with VMWare's ESXi however I find it hard to believe as I go to the performance options of the VM server itself the cpu useage is fine however if I select my guest OS Ctx server and look at the VM Performance tab it shows my cpu getting dogged with an avg of 89%

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I have resolved my issue. I have 2 esxi servers I migrated one ctx server to the other esxi. Both have 2 virtual processors now added to the system. The thing is flying now!

0 Kudos