VMware Cloud Community
Snoogie
Contributor
Contributor

HP SIM P2V

I have an issue using HP's Systems Insight Manager P2V tool. Migrating 2003 hosts I have never had a problem. However I am trying to do a p2v with a 2000 Advanced Server. It gets all the way through the drive image, and at the end gets a driver injection error.

I have been working with HP almost two weeks and have an open ticket with them. Does anyone know of a "manual" way to inject the drivers into a valid disk image file on a VMFS file system?

If I can just make what I have work I won't have to do another three hour job to no avail.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
chandlm
Expert
Expert

I believe you can use VMware Converter to do the configuration tasks. I haven't tried that but you can choose 'Configure Machine' instead of 'Import Machine'.

Snoogie
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome. Are you talking about in the VI client itself or is there another utility called VMWare converter?

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
Snoogie
Contributor
Contributor

Cool. Thanks.

This looks like I can attempt the P2V conversion again, but what I was hoping is that somehow I could find some utility to point to my existing .vmdk file and inject the right drivers into that for Windows 2000 Advanced server. I will try this utility on another server sometime to see how it works. Looks pretty cool!!!!!

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

I believe you can do what you want with the "Configure" option... Try it out (I'd say make a clone first). You can point it directly to a standalone VM I think...

Message was edited by:

chandlm

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

I have used HP's SMP product, VMware Converter, Platespin, the Old P2V and I really like the way Converter works.... I have inported W2K3, W2K and various others with no major issues. I like its ability to configure disk sizes and other useful tools. Plus you can convert between various VMware products.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos