VMware Cloud Community
RolandK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guest Mem 90% and more

Hi

I have created a fresh new vm. w2k3 64bit R2 SP2. 2 vCPU 4096 MB. Attached a RAW LUN with 390GB on a SAN Storage with 2Gbit/s. The Guest mem is over 90%, Host memory about 3900KB.

In the Task Manager are 2.5 GB of Memory free. What could be the reason for the high guest mem consumption.

Kind regards

Roland

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you may try removing the resource allocation limit... If it was set that may have been part of your problem.

Good to see you got it resolved though

please consider marking answers as "correct" or "helpful" to award those who posted useful information.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

is vmware tools installed? what else is running on the server? has the memory usage gone down any?

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check the memory performance of the host and look at the memory chart - is one of the VMs ballooning? Check for any mem reservations on the VMs, one VM could be "borrowing" unused memory from this VM

0 Kudos
RolandK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Tools are installed.

It's just a Fileserver.

Service beremote.exe (BE 12.0),

Service Trendmicro OfficeScan 8.0 SP1.

No other services.

Attached tm.bmp (taks manager in guest OS9

Attache vc.bmp (VM in Virtual Center)

Roland

0 Kudos
RolandK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I put the VM alone on the ESX Host. Still the same.

0 Kudos
denali80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it part of a Resource group? What are your memory shares set to? Is your memory reserved and unlimited in the 'resources' tab of the VM settings?

0 Kudos
Bandolero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What anti-virus do you have installed on the vm, and if you do check for real time protection enabled.

Try setting a limit o the vm resources, uncheck resource allocation Limit (unlimited) and limit the amount of memory to 50% of the physical memory available

Good luck

Carlos

0 Kudos
RolandK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's not member in a resource pool. Memory is limited to the same size as defined in the vm.

In the meantime i gave more memory and it looks good now.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you may try removing the resource allocation limit... If it was set that may have been part of your problem.

Good to see you got it resolved though

please consider marking answers as "correct" or "helpful" to award those who posted useful information.

0 Kudos
RolandK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I set the limit to 4096MB. Allocated Memory is 8192MB. Now the Guest mem % is about 4.

Thanx for your help

Roland

0 Kudos