VMware Cloud Community
uzimmermann
Contributor
Contributor

Getting memory alerts after moving virtual machines from ESX 3.5 to 4

I have a number of machines which were moved from an ESX 3.5 cluster to an ESX 4 cluster. Initially we did not upgrade the virtual machine hardware. Many of these machines now show up with memory alert in Virtual Center. Many of them are RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 32-bit, when I look at the OS level collected information, I see usual some memory used for applications, some for buffers, some for cached but there is usual still memory available. But Virtual Center reports all memory in use. When the machines were running on ESX 3.5 we did not get such alerts. Some machine do not show these memory alerts after the virtual machine hardware got upgraded, but long term memory graphs, such as in vFoglight, show higher memory use on the ESX host side since the move.

Anyone have any hints, clues, tips about this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VMSpotlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Part of the upgrade process is that the virtual hardware is upgraded followed by an upgrade of VMware tools. This is a requirement. From the point of upgrade, monitored resource will show correctly – as the upgrade has not been performed, collected data is inaccurate – vFoglight shows historic data (which will show as incorrect) and following an upgrade of hardware and tools, will show correct data.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Community Rep for PHD Virtual Technologies Inc

esXpress radically alters the notion of how to protect data in virtual infrastructures in one simple way: we use the virtual infrastructure to back itself up!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Currently working with several VMware and Microsoft vendors!!
0 Kudos
uzimmermann
Contributor
Contributor

Even after upgrading the virtual hardware and VMware tools, I am getting alarms about high memory use, which I didn't get before and memory use in vCenter shows higher then it was before.

0 Kudos
jesbo165
Contributor
Contributor

I am also getting 'High memory alerts', but it is only my Windows 2008 servers that show the alert. Vmware tools have been upgraded to the latest version.

0 Kudos